Home / About the Conference
The 30th International Tsunami symposium would be coming up in the month of July 2021 for four consecutive days. The overall reason to attend this symposium is to frame out an effective programm to establish and maintain high standards of professional conduct for members related to the field of various energetic topics like: Tsunami and structures, Structural and societal preparedness, Forecasting and early warning and Mitigation strategies. The main annual event will be discussed over the peer reviewed sessions and technical sessions to examine the new developments.
In 2011, the Tohoku earthquake caused huge damages caused by huge tsunamis. The main theme of this symposium is
“10 years since the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami -Connecting experience and lessons to future generations”, and discussions on the progress and challenges of current tsunami research and the actual arrangement and resolution of efforts in each country and region. In particular, with the participation of tsunami experts in Japan and overseas, sharing a wide range of research results on tsunami, inviting government, media, volunteers, and citizens, the latest research activities such as recent tsunami monitoring / warning systems and damage prediction technology. Discussions will be held on trends, the actual state of disaster prevention activities in the region, and issues and solutions to be solved in the future.
In addition, “tradition” is a major theme, and an inspection tour of the remains of the earthquake in Miyagi Prefecture will be planned. At the same time as appealing the importance of linking disaster experiences and lessons to future generations, it is also an opportunity to convey to the world the reconstruction of the affected areas.
International advisory committee
- Tomoyuki TAKAHASHI (Japan), Kasai University
- Maria Ana BAPTISTA (Portugal), Lisbon University
- Diana GREENSLADE (Australia), Bureau of Meteorology, Melbourne, Australia
- Alexander RABINOVICH (Canada), Institute of Ocean Science, Canada
- Mohammad HEIDARZADEH (UK), Brunel University
- Ahmet YALCINER (Turkey), Middle East Technical University
- Abdul MUHARI (Indonesia), National Agency for Disaster Countermeasure,Indonesia
- Titov VASILY (USA), NOAA in US
- Fumihiko IMAMURA, Chair, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University
- Yuichiro TANIOKA, Institute of Seismology and Volcanology, University of Hokkaido
- Kenji SATAKE, Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo
- Yuichi NISHIMURA, Institute of Seismology and Volcanology, University of Hokkaido
- Masahumi MATSUYAMA, Central Research Institute of Electric Power Industry
- Tomoyuki TAKAHASHI, Faculty of Societal Safety Sciences, Kansai University
- Shunichi KOSHIMURA, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University
- Kazuhisa GOTO, School of Science, University of Tokyo
- Hiroaki MARUYA, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University